Champion for Sarcoma Frequently Asked Questions
Becoming a Champion for Sarcoma is a great way for you to make an impact and help Sarcoma Foundation of America meet our mission by raising funds, your way.
The options are endless. The key is to find an event or activity that you are passionate about and that you think your friends, family and colleagues will support.
Tips! Use your local community contacts to kick start your fundraiser, such as your office, place of worship, gym, or school. Engage those that already share a common interest with you.
How do I get started?
- Click here to begin your do-it-yourself fundraiser. You will receive your own personal page and tools to help you maximize your success.
How do I spread the word about my fundraiser?
- There are tools within the participant center that will assist you in emailing your contacts to announce your event and ask for donations.
- Consider sending a “Save the Date” for physical events.
- Use your social media networks to drive people to your fundraising page. Create an event on Facebook on invite all of your friends and Tweet about your campaign.
How do I send in the money collected at my event?
Mail your donations within 30 days of your event to:
9899 Main Street, Suite 204
Damascus, MD 20872
Are donations tax-deductible?
- Any contribution to Sarcoma Foundation of America qualifies as a deduction under Section 170 of the Internal Revenue Code. Payments made to the third party fundraiser to cover expenses are not tax-deductible. Difficulty could arise when an independent, outside organization wishes to raise money for our organization. If the payments are made to this independent organization, and it is not a qualified organization, the payments will not be deductible for income tax purposes. If the payments are made to our organization, then they qualify – to the extent by law.
Do you impose any guidelines for the fundraiser?
- We reserve the right to decline association with any activities or third-party fundraisers if we believe the activity may have a negative effect on our reputation.
- All events must comply with federal, state and local laws, including fundraising rules and regulations.
- The activity will be promoted and conducted in a manner to avoid the appearance of our organization endorsing any product, firm, organization, individual or service.
- Our official organization logo should be appropriately used in conjunction with such an activity, but may not be altered in any way. Permission must be received to use our logo.
- Our organization operates under the Better Business Bureau guidelines for charitable giving. In compliance with these guidelines, the Sarcoma Foundation of America requires full disclosure on all packaging, advertising or promotional materials when funds are raised.
Who should I contact if I need more information?
- If you need assistance with logos or have general questions about creating your own fundraiser, please contact Michaela Mueller, Event Manager at email@example.com or 301-253-8687.